Saturday, April 16, 2005

Darkness and Light: Simultaneously Available

Some time ago, I wrote a song called, "This Crazy World", which, in each of its verses, expressed something I found ugly, and
something I found beautiful in this world. The song came after the realization that, since we human beings have been on this
earth, we have generated much pain, suffering, and just plain ugliness. We only have to tune into the evening news or read
the morning newspapers, to see that we have a way of keeping on this unpleasant trail. There have been times in my life
when I encountered so much of this, that it was hard for me to see anything more encouraging about us. That was, before it
came to me that, simultaneously available, to us, with all this, was much evidence of beauty and light:...the brilliant visual
opulence of spring time...the mysterious beauty of the mountains...the soothing qualities of the sound of the ocean, and a
myriad other gifts of an abundant Creation...the fineness in people, manifesting in genuine acts of kindness, far away from
witnesses, cameras, or applauding audiences...the sweetness, some people emanate, every time you meet them, soothing
you, and telling you, all is not lost...the crazy and inspiring things we create, that proclaim that there is much about us that
is worthwhile and uplifting. I could go on...but at the core of my realization, that there are these two central paradoxical
qualities of our species, existing side by side, at all times... was that my job as a human being, is to do what the plants do,
as they turn and reach for the sun, and that is, even though we musn't hide our heads in the sand from the expressions of
darkness around us, and if we can do something to change them, do so...to keep choosing to open ourselves to the beauty
and light, that is never far away...Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home