Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Eleventh Commandment

Before I start: learnt yesterday my blog is now listed with: www.blogwise.com Posting: A couple years ago I designed a
poster, with the outline of a "heavenly personage" proclaiming in the caption below: "and the Eleventh Commandment is:
THOU SHALL NOT BE BORING". This notion, came out of years of hearing people wail, "I'm bored!", and always resisting the
temptation to say, "maybe that's because you're a boring person". So far, I don't know of any scientific studies that link
"being bored" with "being boring", but there have been times when I've suspected that there was a connection. I venture to
say this because I am a believer that we all carry in us, the potential to "un-bore" ourselves...but maybe we just haven't been
taught about that in our schools, or arrived at a way of utilising this potential. Sometimes when we say we are bored with
something we are being exposed to, it could simply be that we are prejudiced against it, and are simply not open to what is
interesting about it. The good news in all this is, that as human beings we have been endowed with minds, a sense of wonder, imagination, and the potential to create things...the latter being, a place I've gone to many times when "Bores-ville"
threatened to engulf me. I think our society has trained us to be ace consumers, rather than creators, and from early in our
lives we have been taught, "having a job" is the thing, never mind going with our fertile imaginations, or wondering about
puzzles we encounter in life, or in Creation. It is true that we often find ourselves, in life, in situations loaded with drabness
or predictability, that make us squirm with restlessness. I've often tried to harness such times, as grist for my creative mill, or
make it a time to see the sillyness in the situation I'm in, or of myself, or anyone else putting up with it. So...there's hope
after all, that "un-boring" ourselves is indeed possible. May all who see this posting, be freed of "boring" situations, and, if
not, keep finding ways not to break the Eleventh Commandment...great though the temptation may be. Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home