Thursday, April 28, 2005

A Natural Sweetness

I have never been impressed by those who thump holy books and spout chapter and verse, but under what they say I hear
a message of fear and exclusion, contradicting the message of love their path is supposed to be about. I have been
impressed, instead, by what I sometimes call, a "natural sweetness", in some people I meet, who make me feel that whatever path it is, they might say they follow, I can see it is working for them. To me the ability to make self righteous quotes, or
"bear witness" in verbal ways, pales before this "sweetness" I speak of. In my neighbourhood market, over many months, I've
noticed this very sweetness in one of the cashiers working there. She is an oriental looking woman, with an open smile, and
with a way of speaking, that is not like the "have a nice day" saccharine that oils the wheels of commerce, we usually encounter. This morning, she was the person at the cash register, as I came through. Noticing her exchanges with a previous
customer, I said: "You're in good form today!"..."I'm always in good form!" she replied..."I've noticed that before" I said, "What
is your secret?"..."My secret?" she said, pausing..."My secret is, I have Jesus in my life!"..."Your path is working", I said, "That
is what I go by, not what people say about their paths...and I salute you!"..."Thank you!" she said, giggling. "Come back here
any time!". We parted. I was glad I'd had the opportunity to ask her what her secret was, and that she was willing to answer in such a fortright way. It all reminded me of some words I'd learnt as a child, that still have meaning for me, in a world where
people say, they follow this or that path. It was the simple sentence: "By their fruits you shall know them!". Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home