Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Playing with Pixels

Resumed my making of digital pictures today, reminding me what a gift to my life, "playing with pixels" has been. When I
first acquired my current computer, I noticed that a painting program had been included, in its "bundle of possibilities". The
seeming impossibility of making lines and shapes, with a mouse, caused me to hold back for about four months, before I
took the plunge. Getting the hand to mouse to screen thing fluid, wasn't easy at first, but it didn't actually take too long
before I was experimenting with gradients and "S" tools. The picture maker in me, often calls to me, to be exercised, and
doing "digital aerobics" on my computer, answers this call...without having to set out paints and canvas, or engage in the very slow and messy unfolding involved, in putting paint to canvas. As an "organic picture maker", I can test my picture
making ideas out, in rapid succession, not having to wait a week, for my canvas to tell me if my most recent idea, is working
or not. This opens the way for me to engage in my other creative idioms, song making, and poetry and prose writing. I am
a believer in the value of creating, to human growth and development, beyond whatever its material pay offs may be...also...
making digital pictures pleases me, and keeps the picture maker in me from going to sleep...and...I've actually taught myself,
based on my making of digital pictures...to create covers for my cd's, and posters, with other possibilities beckoning. I'll
never turn my back, on putting paint to canvas. At times, I miss the substantial presence of the results it offers, and its
pleasing tactile aspect, that can lead to relaxation. However...it's been an empowering and sometimes joyful thing, being able
to go "off line", when I need to, so I can "go play with the pixels". Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home