Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Child of Creation

"Wanting to be Somebody", is a notion I've heard expressed over and over again. It is like the beginning book-end, to the one
often heard later in life, in Marlon Brando's words, in "On the Waterfront", or in some other version: "I coulda been a contender!". I've always felt ill at ease , when I've heard this particular wail...it spoke to me, of people having given away their
power, to the achieving of a material dream, to define who they were. I began to see it, after a while, as a trap, knowing that,
the way the world works, not everyone who dreams of becoming a millionaire or a celebrity, is going to become one, leaving
most of such dreamers, set up to join the ranks of those who "coulda been a contender". Some years ago, a realization came to me, that crystallized what I'd felt about the "somebody" question. It was, that from the moment you are placed on this Earth, you are a "Somebody"...a worthy being...with your place in the scheme of things, and ultimately, not needing to be
dubbed a somebody, by the culture you live in...to be one. I found this insight very comforting to myself, with the possibility
of it being comforting to others...and it helped me towards learning how to be productive without being driven. A year and
a half ago, I wrote a song called "Child of Creation", with this verse and chorus: "Times when you want bad to be somebody...
running here then there and full of worry...forgetting you're already a somebody...with no need to chase a prize...or fuss or
worry...You belong here...you belong...Child of Creation...you belong....,,," Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home