Monday, May 30, 2005

Listening For A Spark

I long to hear a spark of personality, humour, brightness, and quirkyness, in what I over hear people saying in public places.
I am often disappointed by the lack of these and other vital qualities in what is said. From time to time I hear teen aged girls
giggling wildly...or someone giving a critique of his society in an unabashed voice. Although my reverie may be interupted
at the time,,,such manifestations tell me that we are not just ghosts...predictably delivering dollops of drabness into our
world. In the category of words or behaviour that show "real signs of life" in my species...I would include the cheekiness of
the occasional person...even when it may be at my expense. Years ago...I lived on a cobbled street...in the old part of a
Scandinavian city. In those days I tried currying just about any food that came to my attention. Sometimes my experiments were successful...sometimes not. By my trial and error method...I had discovered a sausage called "korv"...although invented
for the Viking palate...actually responded well when combined with spices from a more southern clime. One day my "curried
korv" addiction was calling for its fix...so I went to the delicatessen a few steps from my door. It was run by two middle aged, rosy cheeked ladies, dressed in white. I ordered a half a kilogram of korv...then started to look around their tidy little establishment...to see if there was anything else I needed. Before I could say "curried korv"...I heard the slicer going...and looked around to see...my would be supper...already in wafer thin slices by the slicer. At that moment... knowing the thin
slices would evaporate in the currying process... an anguished, "Oh no!" came out of me...accompanied by "I didn't want it sliced up!". With this the rosy cheeked slicer turned to me...with a twinkle in her blue eyes and asked, "Shall I tape it up for you then?"...I immediately burst out laughing...joined by the two sassy angels in white. After this remark...I couldn't bring myself to ask for a "chunk of korv" instead...and went home to my thin sausage slices on brown bread...knowing there was still some hope left in the world...and that my "curry fix"...would have to wait until another day...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home