Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Summer Gathering

Last evening I met with a group of old and new friends and acquaintances...on the shores of English Bay,,.to sing and read poems...and catch up on the news in our lives since we met there...last summer. It was the start of a weekly gathering...that
has become a beautiful tradition over several years. Each year...up to when its summer cycle starts in early June...I am not sure whether I'll be returning...given I have a tendency not to be automatic in what I do...but so far...when the starting day arrives...and if there is sun up in the skies...I find myself heading there...once again...to sing my song...hear others sing...and
to meet again a core of familiar faces. The singing on the green grass...under trees thick with leaves...next to the nearby ocean finger...with the mountains boldly etched across the water..and the sun eventually setting over both...on a summer evening...is a large part of the magnet that draws us to meet again. Seeing the core of familiar faces...some not seen since the previous summer ...is sometimes what makes the difference in deciding to join these sessions by the ocean. Last night it was cool...but the lovely "vibes"...and some extra layers of clothing...made up for the nigglings of the temperature. Part way through the evening...I looked up to see an eagle circling...its wings unmoving...above us...adding inspiration to our gathering. It didn't take long before...a sight I've seen many times in Vancouver skies unfolded...with a crow hurrying upwards to harass the eagle away. There are times...when if the harriers get too close...the eagle will simply dip its wings slightly...buffeting the smaller birds in chase...away. This evening...the eagle was once again my teacher...soaring onwards in royal flight...not even needing to do that...telling me about how to be calm at your centre...and know your power so that you have no need to use your "talons"...leaving those who would harass you... far behind...as unruffled...you move on to the peace to be found...high above...the squabbling...down on the warlike earth below...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home