Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ears To Hear...Eyes To See

One night I was at a poetry gathering. Along with some of my poems...there were prints of some of my digital pictures before me. A woman poet sat down at my table and we started to chat. At one point I mentioned that the prints on the table were
of some of my digital pictures. The "fellow artist" glanced at them for about two seconds...then said..."Let me know if you
ever have an exhibition of them". As she said that...she didn't seem to realize that there was an exhibition of my pictures
right in front of her. What she said crystallized for me...something I'd been reflecting on. It is about how some people seem to confuse...an artist's created work...with an artist's appearances in places that feature artist's work...or how heavily an
"artist" is hyped. Over the years I've observed what seems to be a dependence...on cultural or commercial validation of
creations...for some to decide...what it is they like. We all have the potential to assess music and art that comes before us.
Sometimes... it seems...this potential remains unused...as people wait for commercial or other interests...to tell them whether
an artist's work is good or not...and whether they should see or hear it...having from lack of use...lost the ability...to make up
their own minds...about what they like or dislike. I am always appreciative...of the people who have on hearing my music...
asked for cd's...without having to wait for the top of the pop charts...or frenetic dj's...to tell them this is what they should do.
Apart from the personal encouragement it gives me...it also tells me...that some people have not given away their power to
outside forces...to tell them that they should by-pass what their ears and eyes tell them. For this...I am thankful...in a world
where hype and huckstering...tend to rule.....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home