Saturday, August 20, 2005

Rhythm Makers Too Long Absent

On a Saturday afternoon I sit writing...with musical instruments circling me...as my rehearsals for recording additional parts
to song and guitar versions of some of my songs...continue. There are usually guitars around me...but recently... maracas...djembe...tambourine...Iranian hand drum with rattly bits added to it's inside rim...and a door hanger...with two bells on it...that in a burst of creativity...I have begun using on a pow-wow-like chorus...have joined them. At my recording session last week...I used some of these instruments...but could tell I simply hadn't practised enough with them. Since then I've been trying to catch up with daily percussion practices. It doesn't matter how naturally rhythmic you are...even the simplest beats on a percussion instrument...are likely to falter as you try to deliver on them..,with next to no practice. Unlike the bashing around on rhythm instruments that people do at "musical jams"...where you can mess up on your beats in the name of "percussion fun"...the microphones at a recording studio...when you replay what they have recorded...will quickly tell you where you have messed up. What I play on my guitar...is complicated...relative to the simple percussion beats I want...now...to record, For my kind of playing...I tend to deliver fairly well on my guitar notes...because I play guitar almost every day. Now that I am recording rythmn parts...I simply need to apply some of my guitar dailyness...to maracas...hand drum etc. My natural rhythm sense is still there...but...it seems...my "neural pathways" through which the rhythm signals go...have become overgrown...from lack of use. So...for the next week or two...if not beyond...it's practice...practice...practice...on various rhythm makers...too long absent from my life...
.............................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home