Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Winter In The Oasis Of Canada

Just finished a walk by English Bay. It's grey and cold enough today to have me
reaching for my black woolen gloves. Of course a walk on a day like this is invigorating...if you're up to facing the cold. As someone born and raised in the tropics...I guess I notice the cold more than those who were born in the True North.
It's a good thing that twenty one years ago...I came to live in the oasis of Canada...
its West coast. As I come away from the water today...I pass clumps of palm trees and even a yellowing banana tree. Along with stands of bamboo across the city...they emphasize the "oasis thing". It's not only that...however...I can face a cool day in November on this West Coast...without beginning to hunker down deep into myself...as I did when I lived East of the Rockies...in Ontario...for about five months of the year.
Here...I know that throughout our "winter"...I will not suffer from "green deprivation"
...as I did in the East. Here...I know that there will be bright splashes of berry
colour on certain trees and bushes...flowers if I know where to look...and hardly any
snow...if any...to see me through...until Spring starts its slow return...some time...
around the end of January..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home