Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Bottomless Songs Of Ireland

Lately I've been listening to "Live Ireland" on the internet. This has reacquainted
me with some of the music of the world I like best. I am not talking about the
plentiful supply of jigs and reels from this site...if I were at a country dance I would no doubt respond to their call to get moving. No..it's those songs in between
that programmers are probably told to keep to a minimum...although on this site I've
heard quite a few. I am speaking of those wails that come from deep out of the
painful history of Ireland...and the separation of so many of its people from their
homeland...for economic or violent reasons. Whether it's the human voice...or...
aeolian pipes...or tin whistle...sending out its lament...these songs reach me in a
deep place in myself. What longing...from those separated from loved ones there is...
in songs like "Ten Thousand Miles". Then there are the songs of love lost...like
"She Moved Through The Fair"...and "Raglan Road"...and many others I've heard lately
and still don't know the names of. In the midst now of the poverty of AM Radio...I
know now where to go to be reminded...that all in my world is not shallow...as I am
moved...in deep places...by the "Bottomless Songs Of Ireland"...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home