Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Counting To Ten

Last night I listened to the master of a cd I'd been working on last year...for the first time in about ten weeks. The
engineer involved...who I'd worked well with to that point...suddenly seemed to develop an attack of "unprofessionalism"
...and started postponing the finishing touches on his engineering duties. In all of my years of recording...and working
with sound engineers...I had never encountered such a problem...everyone involved seemed to recognise that you have
to do your part in taking a project you've agreed to handle...to its timely conclusion. A relative of mine says that the
more progress you make in liberating yourself...brings you trickier tests to deal with...this may have been at work here.
Anyway...there was a choice to be made in this frustrating siituation...unleash the fire and brimstone [always wondered
what "brimstone" was...but now is not the time to figure that out]...or find a more peaceful response. What I chose to do...
was "count to ten"...more precisely it turns out...to ten weeks. It should be said here...that when you have rehearsed for weeks...and gone through the rigors of finishing your recordings...is the worst possible time to be held up by someone
other than yourself. For one thing...you have been over exposed to the material involved in the project...and you simply
want to wrap it up. I let my plans to launch this cd in 2005 go...and left the material sitting until last night. I'm happy to
report that the coming of the New Year...gave me an opportunity to start again. The time away from the material had
refreshed my ears...and I was able to listen to the songs again...and with that...decided I would now go forward with
this project...even coming up with a new name for the cd...and designing a new front cover. I look forward to this part of
the process...as I hopefully now...take this cd project to its natural conclusion......................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home