Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Locked Out


Early yesterday afternoon...I returned home to find that on my trip out...my building
and apartment keys had vanished. A neighbour let me into the building...but I found myself in front of my apartment door...with just two inches of solid material...effectively blocking my way into my oasis from the storms. It was a horrible feeling...being so
near and yet so far...I was tired and it was the last thing I wanted to deal with.
It was a great wake up call...about about what a treasure it is to have a home...when
not too many blocks away...there are people toughing it out...day after day...on the
sidewalks. I felt naked and bereft...as I turned away from my door...and went back out into the rain...to work out a solution to my problem. After making phone calls and checking out about seven scenarios...that didn't offer any relief...I finally decided to spend the night at a relative...where it took me a long time to get any sleep...with fantasies going round and round in my mind...about getting dozens of extra keys...and plscing them in flower boxes...under stones...or duct taped to out of sight places...around my building. This morning the office manager had returned and she let me back into my nest facing the comforting mountains. I entered with a giant feeling of relief...and a renewed appreciation...of the place I call home...and with a secret plan...never to return to the feeling I had standing outside of a door I needed to enter...but couldn't open..............Quester.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 AM , Blogger The Lovelorn Eeyore Collecting Commuter said...

i can feel for you. i've done this to myself a number of times since moving last.
i also know that i'm so much luckier than many and that i should appreciate every day the fact that i have shelter, privacy, and access to warmth and regular food.
my home is my haven and i'm thankful. i also face mountains and it is glorious to wake up and see wonder in them every day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home