Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What Is Valued


Last night I sang at a poetry gathering. I sang early...which is my request to the
organizers...when I sing anywhere these days. It has to do with my knowing how easily
"glazehood" can set in on some of these situations...and when it does I want to be free to leave. It didn't take very long for it to happen on this night...and using my two feet I exercised my remedy for being somewhere I no longer wish to be. Who knows what all the reasons were for my early exit. Probably...some "been there done that" was present...probably having left 9 to 5 at the age of 23 to become an artist...relying on my ability to somehow survive making music...without "hedging my bets" first...with a nice regular paying job in place...before I start dabbling. When I'm sitting in an audience...and there is no evidence that anyone else present has taken that approach...I guess it sometimes makes me feel like the "odd man out". I think it's the "Course in Miracles" that says "you're never angry for the reasons you think you are"...I wasn't angry...but the same thing may apply to feeling "dissonant'. Anyway...last night I got home early...and processing it all after...this verse and chorus of a song I wrote some years ago came back to me: "For what is valued in this world...doesn't mean too much to me...for I've watched the fools it's made of men...who were no longer free...So I will watch the race go on...I will watch the shallow game...that is played out everywhere I turn...for power...gold...and fame. Who I am...was born to fly...free of chains up to the sky...Who I am is mine to say...not give my power away".....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home