Friday, May 05, 2006

Kites


[Yesterday...my picture refused to get delivered to my blog...causing the absence of a post]. Went to a part of Vancouver...today...I haven't been to recently. I had forgotten that they fly kites in Vanier Park...and my heart leaped when I spotted the first one today. Kites...take me back to childhood quicker than most anything else. We used to painstakingly get our pieces of kite paper...sticks for the frame...glue...sometimes in the form of a berry...called "clamma cherry"...and what ever else was needed...then patiently...assemble our "box" kites...then we would hurry to a place with not too many large trees obstructing the flying lanes...and with one end of our ball of string...strongly secured to our masterpiece...start coaxing our paper bird up in the air. Yes...in the countryside of Guyana...flying a kite was one of the most looked forward to events in our young lives. Some of the more competitive boys on the river...would attach razor blades to their kite tails ...the better to chop at the sole support of someone else's kite...who had the same felonious intent. This is one boyhood "sin" I never had to confess to...just feeling my kite tug at the string in my hand...watching its many colours light up the sky...and its sinuous tail...dance in the tropical sky...was enough for me. Those were the days...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home