Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Memorial Evening

[Second day posting from the library]. Last night attended a memorial for our poet
friend who passed on recently...at a poetry night she had started and developed into
one of the core poetry sessions in Vancouver. I was asked to sing a song early in the
proceedings. I sang an old folk song that I learnt many years ago...before I had
started writing songs. I felt it suited the occasion. The song was "Wayfaring Stranger". The first verse says: "I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger...a-travelling
through this world of woe...And there's no sickness toil nor danger...in that bright
land to which I go"...echoing that ancient longing of human beings for a finer place...beyond this Earth plane,,,and its toil and woe. The evening was full of caring energy...and our poet friend was honoured this night...by one of her fellow
poets after the other...reading one of her poems...or one of their own. At the end of
the night...I think all present felt they had shared something very human together...
as we had all turned our warm thoughts towards our departed friend. I was glad that
I was part of this memorial evening.....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home