Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What Our Eyes See


At first glance this picture seems to represent an exercise in futility...people
pushing on a log...from opposite directions...a reminder that what our eyes see...is
not always what it seems. Actually I have the advantage in interpreting this seemingly foolish behaviour...I saw what they were doing together before they became log pushers. This group of young men and women...was seated on the grass...close to where I was...in the lotus position...if I remember correctly...doing some kind of yoga-esque activity. It was right after they completed what they were doing there...that they galloped down to the log...and started to do their thing. As I write about this...I am reminded of how flawed our powers of observation...and memory...are. I think the pushing from opposite directions at the log...was come kind of communal muscle exercise...but a good defence lawyer...[are their actually any "good" ones?]...would likely ask me...if I was within ear shot of them...as they did their thing...to which I would have to answer..."No...I wasn't"...at which point he would remind me that they were actually doing the ancient "pushing on the log" ritual and chant...from the Far East. So much for our speculations about what our eyes see...it's a good thing writers have something to fall back on called "poetic license"...and it's a good thing that not every thing done on a beach...ends up in a court of law...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home