Tuesday, October 24, 2006

One More Commerce Fest


The only time I can remember taking any action about Halloween...is when my daughter
was little and I took her trick and treating. When you see the real reason for these
"commercial festivals'...that happen during the year...with their central reason for being...having to do with selling merchandise...it is hard for you as an adult to have much to do with them. Not wanting to make your child stick out like a sore thumb as the only one who doesn't go trick and treating...you put what you see aside...and go for a little October 31st jaunt with her. Today...in a way to check out if I was being a bit harsh in my views about this current commerce fest...that's been going on since the end of August...when...if I remember correctly...I saw the first Halloween parpernalia...put out for sale...I went to check things out at one of the central places in town selling such merchandise. It was quite an experience...looking closer at items I've been ignoring for a long time...such as: "Bloody Blade", "Screw Head", "Devil Horn Wig", "Cryptic Cadaver", "Madam Morticia", "Crypt Creature", "Fading Eye Skull Mask", and "Extra Thick Blood", otherwise known as, "Faux Sang en gel epais". It ended up being a sobering experience...not only because of the graphic display of the chintzy and the gory...but because it reminded me that the millions of people buying these items...won't be creating anything...having been reduced instead...to buying their costumes from the store. I left grieving for the loss of creativity in my world...that seems a lot of the time...to settle for "buying its life from the store"..........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home