Saturday, February 17, 2007

After A Time Is Another Time

Was just reading about people who had
emigrated from places like Guyana...my country of origin...and other places in the Caribbean...worked hard and accumulated money...in places "in the North" like Britain
...then returned to their countries of origin
...only to become very disillusioned with
what they found there. In Guyana...as a child...I used to hear the older ones say...
with much life knowing in their voices...
"After a Time...is Another Time"...recognizing how we human beings live our lives in chapters...followed by other chapters. I think some of the people who
returned to their southern places of origin...may have been attempting to return to
a place in "another time"...that they had carried for a long time in their minds. They
may have forgotten...that times change...people change...societies and their ways
change...and most importantly...we all over time tend to change. With immigrants...
like myself...I think a "point of no return" usually comes...at some point in our lives...
in our new countries. Knowing well...the harshness that might be part of living in the
North for some...I feel sympathy for those who return to their "old country"...seeking a warmer more laid back way of life...and their roots...although
in my own case..."after a time is another time" is one of the lessons from my own
"old country"...I have never forgotten....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home