Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Roots...Memories...And Escape

A couple nights ago...I looked at an online
gallery of photographs...of my country of
origin...Guyana. I recognized some of the places photographed. Looking at them
stirred many memories...the front door of
the high school I went to in the capital city...
Georgetown...the cemetry I learned to ride
bycycle at...the cathedral at which I served as an altar boy...an aerial view of the twenty
mile wide mouth of Guyana's largest river
...across which...as a youngster...I took a
ferry to get to the big city...the
government building where I worked for a
while before I came to Canada...the two
main markets in the city...full of the colour of all kinds of flora and fauna,,,and people
in bright clothing...and so many other sights...that stirred me...and left me with a few
hauntings...knowing the main people I knew and loved there...have moved on to other
pastures...of this world...and beyond it. Yes...there was much that resonated in me as
I looked at pictures of the place that shaped me. However...there was an absence of
the nostalgia...that would make me wish I was back there...and I must confess...a
feeling that I had made a "great escape" from there at the age of twenty...yes...a mixture of feelings...ranging from ones about roots and memories...to ones about
having made an "escape from"...as my "escape to"...keeps unfolding.......
...................................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home