Saturday, March 24, 2007

Free Creativity

I know that some people have to create...based on the
commissions they've gotten to do so. I've done a few of those myself...for the BBC in England...for the National Film Board in Canada ...for grants from the Secretary of State in Canada. I won't lie...it was good to do those in the midst of all the creativity I was engaged in over many years. It's funny though...how people interviewing you for newspapers...or otherwise...usually hone in on "commissioned creativity"...like I've mentioned above. When they do that...ignoring the life long ...unshackled creativity you engage in...I think they really miss the boat...on something fundamental...and seldom mentioned about creativity. For me...that is...not what monetary or prestige prizes you can win for engaging in creative acts...but its tremendous contribution to the personal liberation...growth...and development...of the individual who ongoingly engages in it...regardless of what the newspapers or the markets have to say about it. Sometimes it seems to me...that too many people who engage...in acts of creativity...let themselves be imprisoned by the question...but will it be published...recorded...exhibited...or sell...oblivious to the value of engaging in creative acts...to their personal growth. In addition to that...it has been my experience over many years...that it is when I engage in "free creativity"...free of the chains I've mentioned and others...that the joy of creating returns...and I become as fresh as a child again...exploring the world around him and being in close touch with his imagination...and the power and beauty...that lies inside...waiting to be called upon...without any strings attached..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home