Sunday, March 04, 2007

Unsolicited Advice

One of the perils of publishing anything online is that you lay yourself open...once in
a blue moon...to receive advice you didn't ask for...in the midst of all the encouraging notes good people send your way. I think that today would be a good day to publish again...a piece I did on this blog on February 24th last year...stating some of my long time views on unsolicited advice:
Some years ago...I found myself inundated with advice I hadn't asked for...and in my frustration with this...made a circular sign saying..."This is an unsolicited advice free
zone"...accompanied by a picture of zippered lips. I framed it and put it up in my home. People often forget that others are not asking for their advice...because they
don't feel in need of it...so...when it is given anyway...the recipient feels intruded upon. My own feeling about it is that this kind of advice...is indeed cheap. When people ask advice from me I sometimes say..."You want advice from me?...I have a room full of it that's never been used...and I'd love to pass it on to you". A sign...at least in your home...with the "zipped lips" logo...and a message about not wanting
unsolicited advice...may be just the ticket...when the sensitivity of others around you fails...and you need to remind them that their advice is not needed...without even having to tell them so...................Quester.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home