Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Poet Reading-5: Sit At Your Desk


In the spring of 1998 my creativity had dried up for a while...and I was suffering
through the malaise that comes with that...the "not doing what you came here to do" thing. It finally came to me...what I should do about it. I set my desk up...by a front window...facing the mountains. On it I put a blank pad of paper...pen...and my tape recorder ...with my my guitar placed within hand reach. Every day...I went to that place I had prepared...and the first thing I did...was gaze at the mountains...getting in touch with their power and presence. This centred me...and my hope was it would all get me into a receptive frame of being. I had for a long time...known...that you can't expect "the wild bird of creativity"...to come at your beck and call...but that it was something that you respected...and gave thanks for...when it decided to come your way. What I was trying to do...with this "inertia and blankness breaking" exercise...was to be prepared and receptive as I could be. Over a period of weeks doing this...some of the time...songs and poems...full fledged...came to me. There were other times...when only a line or two came...or sometimes...my page remained blank. Even at those times...however...I knew that I was doing the right thing for me at that time...by starting off...with my tuning in to the mountains...that I was blessed to be able to see from my front windows. Today's poem..."Sit At Your Desk"...came out of that time...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home