Friday, June 20, 2008

Graffiti vs. Vandalism


Walking recently with two friends from England the subject of graffiti came up. They
were dead set against it. A lot of the time I let people make their expressions from
their subjective reality...without feeling it necessary to trump theirs with mine. I
certainly wasn't trying to trump [did that word come into being before Donald came along?]them...but I heard myself softly saying...that for me the main issue was...where the graffitists chose to express themselves. I like to see people express themselves...be creative in a world that can sometimes be very drab. Where I draw the line about self expression ...is when it morphs into full blown vandalism...like when the target for it...is the wall of someone's house or store...or other people's domains which they have worked hard to keep in good shape. When I see that...I think I see a big ego at work...prone to disrespecting others. There are places enough in big cities for such creations...on hoardings around construction sites that are going to be torn down soon anyway...under bridges...and many other places...where one person's rights don't attempt to subjugate the rights of others. To sum up...the way I feel
about this form of human expression...A big "No" to vandalism...and s
big "Yes" to creative expression that doesn't invade another's space. Having said all
that...don't expect to see me at a hoarding in your fair city...any time soon. The price of a can of spray paint...is much too high...besides...what are blogs for?.......Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home