Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Step Ahead Of Prisons


There is a picture somewhere...of three fresh faced young men...with straw hats on their heads...taken a long time ago...to publicize our newly formed Caribbeanesque trio. Yes...I confess to briefly taking part in a stereotype...of what three musical
Caribbean persons should look like. Fortunately...it didn't take me long to see the
prison I was helping to create for myself...and I left that carricature...to battle on
in the folk music jungle. In all of my long musical life...I have somehow been able to
identify the particular prison I was in...at the time...and break out of it. There have been many such prison breaks which I won't list here. Last night I returned to the scene of my last one...an outdoor summer singing venue...with much to recommend it...i.e. being outdoors in the warm weather...and making music. For me...however...
having done it over a few summers...I began to see...that it might become a prison too...as time went by...the hamster on the wheel thing. So...I left it behind a summer
or two ago. Last night...for the first time in a long time...I returned to this music
night...to say hello to some of the people I know there. I was asked to sing...and sang three songs. Things went well...and it was good to see some people again...I've known for a while. This morning...I am seeing that it was good for me to have gone back...as it helped me to see...that although I may drop by this venue from time to time...there is no need in me to return to this place ...trapped in a habit I can't shake...i.e. singing in a known place week after week every summer...on and on. I wish my friends there well...but as with my straw hat and flowered shirt...I know that this phase in my life is over...as I engage in...and look forward to...new endeavours...and my measure of freedom in this life......Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home