Friday, August 01, 2008

E-mail Time


It was great to finally solve the problem of my blocked e-mail yesterday. Not having
access to it for a day or two...was a reminder...of how it has become an integral part
of my life...for 6 years now. It's hard to imagine how I lived without it before that.
Meeting and talking person to person with people I know and like...is still my
prefered way to communicate with others...I am happy to report...but using e-mail...
has left use of my telephone far behind. Reasons for this that come to mind are...
e-mail time...is a time when you are ready to receive or transmit communications with
others...whereas answering the telephone...just because it rings...is a great way of
setting yourself up for an ambush...from telemarketers or any other people you're not
keen to hear from. Filling the phone with words...so that there are no awkward silences ...is also not prime territory...for giving youself time to consider what you are going to say. Using e-mail...gives you time to consider the words you are sending
out. That's why sometimes I call using a telephone... entering a "laceration
zone"...i.e. a place where stupid or ill considered things can be said. Of course...
hearing the voice of someone you like...beats reading words from them on a page...
but there's still a lot to be said for the benefits of e-mail time......Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home