Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pictures Of Another Time-11


Today's picture is of yours truly...singing at the Steyn Valley Festival. I'm trying
to recall exactly when it was...I think it was in the early nineties. It was a festival that happened once a year...for a few years...to benefit the protection of the Steyn Valley watershed...in British Columbia...from logging. Over the years...I took part in concerts benefiting many causes...including environmental ones. One of the things I am reminded of in this picture...is the tinyness of the solo performer...in comparison to the stage he's on...and the largeness of the audience. Some would say there is bravery involved...in walking out to face such a situation. Others would say...what ego...to think you could do that. The truth...for me...is that I did do...in my time...such concert appearances...but they seldom gave me as much satisfaction...as singing in small rooms...to much less people...than there would be at an outdoor festival concert. Perhaps that had to do...with feeling a palpable contact...with the people you're singing for...you could say feeling an intimacy...not always possible...when the nearest to you person in your audience...is a long distance away...as it often is...in big stage outdoor concerts. These days...I am not keen to repeat the big stage appearance...but I'm glad...that in "another time"...that was part of what I did...as a performing artist.................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home