Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sorting Through My Songs And Poems


[Photo: Detail from above school door in Vancouver's East End].
Last night I was looking through the words of songs and poems of mine...after pulling
them out of a pile of loose pages containing different kinds of material. Having your
created material...of a given species...like songs...in one central place...has been
a kind of "holy grail" for me. I've attempted several times over the years...to make a
central song file...for instance...but the words on their pages...have a way of
separating themselves from each other...and hiding away in different piles of paper...
in my home. Yesterday...I bought two good looking boxes...which I hope this time round
...will each turn into...that one central place...I've always wanted to have...for my
song words...and my poems. Right now...separate piles of paper...are sitting on the floor...in front of my couch...awaiting further sorting out...and storage. I suspect
they'll stay there a bit longer...as I peck away at my sorting and storing. Anyway...
one of my rewards...for facing up to a paper jungle...was finding again...the
beginning words of a long poem...which I like...perhaps more than I like the rest of
the poem: "Into the cool waves...the colour of brandy...the black duck dives...by the
red buouy. The powder blue boat...forsakes the wind...shucks its limp white sail...
and chugs towards the cluttered shore. Rain clouds swell...over the dark mountains...
as the pretty woman...on the bare bench...pauses with her post cards...and puts on
her canary yellow jacket. I was writing this poem...when I met you"......Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home