Thursday, October 30, 2008

Political Campaign Musings


I confess to having been interested...in a daily way...with a certain political campaign...that's been going on...for too long it seems. On the one hand it's been the
best soap opera available on tv...with those identified by their supporters as heroes
...being attacked by the villains from the other side...providing a strong core for
a long unfolding saga. In political campaigns...I don't know if there are any running
for office...who are clean as new fallen snow...in the way they run their campaigns...
but to me...there has been a level of ugliness unleashed this time...that I can't
remember happening in the past. Perhaps it's because...this time round...I'm more
interested than I ever was. In one way...I suppose...I'll miss the twists and turns of
this soap opera...when this chapter of it is over on November 5th. On the other hand
...I'll welcome some of the spinners...and their brazen...often intelligence insulting
interpretations...of what's going on...on behalf of their candidate...being on holiday. I finally found a way of looking at political coverage on tv...to deal with some of the most notorious and irritating spinners. I look at the tv screen...when these programs are going on...with a remote that records things on my vcr in one hand...and another one...that turns off the sound the moment one of the aforementioned twisters of words and ideas...opens his or her mouth to speak. I find this exercising of my democratic rights...strangely...or not so strangely...satisfying. Above all...I look forward to November 5th...when...hopefully...a message of hope...would have won out over...a message of fear...because I see how looking upon the world as an unfriendly and hostile place...can help to make it so...whereas...looking at the potential for good in an imperfect world...can cause that potential...to be made manifest........
.........................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home