Friday, November 21, 2008

Reflections On A Short Grey Day


Today's photo was taken about a week ago. I'm sure that by now all those beautiful golden leaves are on the ground. Today has been very grey and wet...and the dark comes
so early. This is one of the things I sometimes miss...if I allow myself to do so...
from my childhood days in Guyana. There...there was no wholesale shedding of leaves...
and no winter...of course...and the days were not brutally shortened...and lacking
in sunlight...the way they often are...in the autumn and winter months here. You could
also rely on the length of the day...with darkness descending like a guillotine...at
about 6 p.m....and the new day beginning about 5.30 p.m....with no trace of twilight
at its ending. Living in the countryside...I remember the unearthly sound...that used to wake me up at around 5.30 in the morning. No it wasn't a grownup in a perky voice
saying..."rise and shine". It was the massed chorus of what we used to call..."baboons" ...turns out they were actually howler monkeys...who together...made this sound that seemed to be coming from deep down in a nether world. If you were an adult visiting this area for the first time...that sound...would scare you witless.
Anyway...I do believe in "working with what you've got"...and I know that I'm
privileged to live in this beautiful part of the world...and maybe some morning soon
...I'll see my beloved mountains again..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home