Saturday, February 07, 2009

Just Different Strokes


We human beings can drift along...living out our subjective realities. So far so good.
A problem only begins to arise...when we get into assuming that a subjective belief we
hold...is a cosmic ultimate...that should be followed by all. There is a "reality"
show on television...that knowingly or unknowingly...reveals...the conflict and hurt
feelings...that can come...when individuals make the mistake of thinking that their
belief system...of course...should be followed also...by the people they are matched
with in the show. This program...I confess to looking at some times...but other times
...can't bring myself to watch...the blindness and the narrowness of some of my fellow
human beings...being so painful to watch. Quite often...it's religious fanaticism...on
one side...clashing with a more live and let live approach...on the other. Sometimes I think...this kind of zealotry I see on this show...and otherwise...is the result of people sticking harshly...to a short hand for being spiritual...they got out of a book...or some other source. What is very revealing...is how nasty people can get...sometimes ...supposedly following...inflexible "spiritual" guidance. This nastiness...I sense ...is probably a reflex action...to feeling threatened...when another belief system...comes close. I could go on and on...on this subject...but I've always felt...that a spiritual path...to start with...should make you feel secure. If following it...you feel easily threatened...to me...means there's something awry in the system you're following...or your interpretation...of it. When I meet up with different takes on living life...if I can avoid being hooked into disputes about differences ...I draw on the "wisdom of the ages"...and say to myself..."Well...you know...all you're looking at here...is "different strokes"...so...just..."chill out"......................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home