Sunday, February 01, 2009

Lion In The Hood


On Friday...the sound of drums coming from in front of where I live...reminded me that
it was Chinese New Year...and "The Lion was in the Hood". I made a video of this very thing last year...which is on YouTube. This time round...I just caught the tail end...
of the Lion's trip along my street. It's a tradition...where two men...wearing a lion
costume...operate inside of it...looking very much like one entity...it's usually
done so well. They visit establishments along the street...and throw lettuce towards
their smiling proprietors or workers...who try to catch the lettuce...but never quite
seem to be able to keep up with the flow of objests coming their way. I think this ritual...is supposed to bring good fortune to the businesses involved. Anyway...I did
get a few pictures of the Lion's journey...including today's picture. Today...I had in
mind to go down to the large Chinese New Year Parade in Chinatown...which I also made
a YouTube video of last year...but when I got up to get ready for it...I saw that it was raining...and didn't fancy that my cameras would do very well in the rain...so I didn't go. hope that more hardy souls than myself...helped to make it a fine parade...in the rain. Talk about..."raining on my parade".....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home