Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Poetry vs Song In My Life

Yesterday...I uploaded a poem video...to my poetry channel...for the first time in
about three months. A contributing factor...in my letting poetrydavidcampbell5 be...
has been for some technical reason...not being able to access it readily. But...it's
hard to conceal "the elephant in the room" here. I wouldn't want to make a categorical
statement about poetry versus song...but...in my individual experience...it's
beginning to look like...if there is a choice between people listening to a song...
as opposed to a poem...more will choose song than poetry. The reason for that...I think...is that song has been...for a long time...via radio...and before that...much more available to the world...than spoken word...although in recent times...some of the wing of poetry...filled with sound and fury...not to mention...bravado... has crashed into pop culture. For the "quieter" poets...this is not so much the case. I've noticed for some time now...for instance...in YouTube's list of video categories...that there is one for music...but...poetry...is not listed. I realized...when I started my poetry channel...that I was looking at..."a tough row to hoe"...but went ahead with opening the channel...anyway. My poetry channel...has not been embraced as warmly...as my mainly song [marakakore] channel. Of course...with my poetry channel...I can always exercise...the "let it be" option...as I've just recently done...and return to it...when I'm good and ready. I've been a poet for a long time...and am likely to continue being that...but sometimes...I'm really glad...that I'm also a maker of songs....Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home